Tuesday, May 02, 2006

May 2 Japan update

As I look into living in Japan, I've run up to some major challenges regarding Bonnie. Here's the latest:

I recently talked with a couple of friends who are TEAM missionaries in Okayama and they have serious concerns about me bringing Bonnie to Japan. Violette has a friend who is an expert in educating missionary kids in Japan. When Violette contacted her friend about this situation, she thought it was a terrible idea for me to bring Bonnie to Japan under these circumstances. Paul grew up in Japan as an MK and has been there almost all of his life (he is in his late 40s). I have outlined their concerns below. I don’t want to jump to any conclusions about God’s will here, but this does seem like something that needs to be seriously considered.

§ Japanese are friendly to Westerners, but very cold toward other Orientals. There is a serious prejudice, especially, against Chinese.
§ Since adoption is not an accepted concept in Japan and they do not have the American attitude toward multicultural families, we could very possibly have even more problems than the average westerner in Japan.
§ Since I would be working sometime in the mornings and sometimes in the evenings, as well as on Saturdays, when would I see her? She might be able to come to some of my classes (with the kids her age) but how would I get her to and from a babysitter around my schedule? In Paul’s words, “Working out your English class schedule to fit around her needs would be a big challenge.” I’m not sure Agape school is in a position right now for that flexibility.
§ Bonnie would need to learn how to read and write in English since she would be in 1st grade. Is it realistic to think I could homeschool her AND work full time and do ministry and live in a foreign culture, etc?
§ There is a Christian school in Saidaiji about an hour away and that would be a friendly environment, but then it would cost a lot of money and I would still need to help her with English studies on my own. I would need to move closer to Saidaiji to send her there. I would really need a car.

Paul’s final words were this: “Sorry for the rather dismal response.We would love to have you as our friend out here again, but I can't honestly say you would be able to make a good living and meet Bonnie's needs by coming.”

I share this with a trusted friend here in the states and got this response (which I completely agree with) : “Serious considerations from trusted friends. I would know nothing of what he says, but you should take this very seriously.
It also sounded to me like Raj has not fully offered you the position until he gets confirmation from your church.
Use these cautions as from the Lord. Be willing to go wherever He wants. Also be willing not to do something that He stops.
It's not clear to me which this is yet. But, unlike my first reaction, these are serious concerns that may put the brakes on. ”

I on’t want to limit God. I don’t want to say this is too big a problem for Him to overcome, but I don’t want to be foolish either. I would love to go to Japan in a very flexible environment, recruit students, put some of my ideas into action for social activities and building relationships, communication with parents, etc. I’m bursting with ideas and nothing would make me happier than going back to Japan. However, I’m not sure Agape school is in a position to provide the flexibility Bonnie would need.

Still, I can’t say “no.” The first time I went to Japan, I really didn’t want to go, but God was so much wiser than I. He knows me better than I know myself and He knew Japan was the perfect place for me. I would like to think that things would work out for Bonnie. Didn’t God put us together? I believe He has a ministry we can do and a place for us. If Japan is perfect for me, doesn’t he know that I have a Chinese child?

On the other hand, as Paul pointed out to me, God HAS already given me a ministry – raising one Chinese child. I don’t believe He would call me to “sacrifice” her for a ministry in Japan. So I really don’t know what to make of this.

In addition, there are the additional considerations of my debt, my mortgage, my car lease. Putting them all together, do I takethis as a closed door? Or a challenge to overcome? I honestly don’t feel I can answer that question.

If you have any thoughts, please e-mail me with them or comment here. And, of course, keep praying.

Karyn

No comments: