Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Quote of the Moment

I'd like to commit to doing these every day or even every week, but I know my limits. Just wanted to share this quote:

"You cannot add to the peace and good will of the world if
you fail to create an atmosphere of harmony and love right
where you live."

*Thomas Dreier


I have a passion for peace and good will in the world, but I'm not so good at creating harmony right where I live. So many things are like this. We can love our "neighbors" globally, but it's much harder to love the guy right down the street. Why is that? I think for me it's because I like the notion of peace and good will and when viewed globally it's abstract and something that would be nice to do -- some day. But when viewed as the guy next door or even the person who lives in my home with me, that's much harder. I have to sacrifice something to create harmony and love right here.

The hypocrisy of this torments me. I want to be Mother Teresa loving the unloveable -- touching the untouchables. I find myself in a deadly serious life struggle as I watch the round pegs all around me loving the world abstractly. But that blasted square peg won't let me drift in the sea of round pegs. That squared off top keeps scratching and cutting the smooth roundness all around me. I want to run off and love the lepers, save the orphans, singlehandedly turn around the foster child system in the U.S.

But I'm also a very sensitive square peg. Do you remember the movie Edward Scissorhands? His hands were made of sharp scissors. He was so odd and even scary. He wanted to give you a hug, but he would accidentally stab you instead. A few people embraced him; they saw beyond the huge scissor waving in their faces. They saw that Edward had scars on his own face, from cutting himself. They rescued him. For the life of me, I can't remember how that movie ended. Did the townspeople crucify him? Did they accept him? Did he destroy himself? I don't know. And my life is the same way. Will anyone accept me? Will I destroy everyone around me? Will I destroy myself?

Or will I save the world?

Or neither?

I want to be the one who saves the world. But I am sure I will never do it. This is my struggle. Since I am a serious, "real" (whatever term you care to use) Christian, I have been taught that the answer to this struggle has something to do with God. But I can't figure it out. I guess I am going through a spiritual crisis.

I hope I survive it.

KayCee

No comments: