Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Square Pegs

Recently I had a friend suggest to me the reason why I have struggled in a job search is because I am a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. The fact that I wasn't offended by this comment proves just what a square peg I really am. Life is hard for us square pegs. We see round pegs all around us and we long to be like them. But we just aren't. It can't be helped. When my friend, Nancy, made her square peg comment, it was liberating. I realized that, in the past, whenever I embraced my "squareness", I was a lot "happier" (and happiness is a relative term, especially for me). We can only be what we are. So for all the square pegs out there and for those who love them, welcome to Kaycee's World. Since I live for feedback and approval, please comment liberally, but only if you can be nice. :)

KayCee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

KayCee--Friend!

I am excited that you now have your own BLOG. I suppose a blog is both a square peg and a round peg activity, hmmm?

In truth (I'm whispering now), everyone feels like a "square peg" sometimes. We all search for a place where we fit in. We're all looking for the Cheers theme song to be sung as we enter the room.

I look forward to many more "square peg" posts from you.

A Friend :-)

KayCee said...

Love the bit about the Cheers song. That's so true.

Anonymous said...

Your square peg metaphor fits nearly everyone, I suspect. Why do people form cliques? To avoid that uncomfortable square peg feeling. Studies have shown that individuals will conform to the group's version of an incident, even though the individual saw something entirely different from what the rest of the group reports. Someone in a red jacket bursts into a room full of people, makes a commotion in order to be noticed, then runs out. If the group ( who are all in on the secret) agree that the person was wearing a green jacket. The individual (not in on the secret) will seldom disagree with what the group proclaims to be the color of the jacket. Our job is to be comfortable enough with ourselves that we accept our square peg uniqueness, and calmly continue to assert that the jacket was, indeed, red. So, accept that you are frequently a square peg, and realize that many times the round peggers are merely not courageous enough to show themselves.

KayCee said...

Wow! I really like what you said about the round pegs not showing themselves! So true. Maybe I'm not really a square peg after all, but just a round peg who's compelled (I won't say willing because I wish I could keep my mouth shut and just float along harmoniously)to how my true self. Hmmm. . .

Kaycee

Anonymous said...

Amazing that my comment and suggestion that you accept your uniqueness and very special qualities as they are, instead of trying to conform to the standard round holes most of us fit into, had such an impact on you. You really need to be proud of your perspectives and uniqueness - - you have talents that most of us only dream about - - and never reach. Stick with it! Be proud of your talents and special abilities.
N