Thursday, April 27, 2006

Rising Sun -- maybe

BIG STUFF happening here. Let me give you the story as it happened. On Monday I went to church to sign my daughter up for summer sports camps. While there, I see a notice on the employment bulletin board about a guy I know who is looking for teacher's in Japan. This reminds me that a friend had mentioned this opportunity to me before and I need to check it out. I call the guy and we start talking about it. Sounds a lot like what I did in Japan for six years - working at a private school, teaching mostly kids. I casually ask him where the school is. "Kurashiki," he answers. I almost drop the phone. Kurashiki is the town one train stop away from where I lived in Japan. I actually TAUGHT at a school in Kurashiki for several years. Kurashiki is one of my favorite places in Japan. It is "home." I start to get excited and we decide to meet the next day. By the end of our conversation, he tells me that he would like me to come to Japan for at least a year, possibly long-term/semi-permanently as a teacher/manager of the school. I am supposed to give him an answer by Tuesday, May 2 BECAUSE he needs this person to start mid-June (yes, folks, that is less than 6 weeks from now). So I am thinking about it until Tuesday and then if I decide to go forward, it will depend on things like getting a passport in time, selling my car(I'm in a very unfriendly lease) and renting out my condo. If all of that works out, we will be OUTTA here mid June. Unbelievable.

So, I think this blog may transition into a place to record this saga so everyone can keep up. :) Should be an exciting journey.

No comments: